12 July 2006

Too Much Information

Funny, the things one learns accidentally while staying in another person's home.

Let me state this: I am NOT a snooper. I'm not tempted to peek in other folks' medicine cabinets, I don't care what sort of DVDs they keep in their bedrooms and their U.S. post carries no interest for me. If it's not sitting out in plain view, I ain't lookin' for it.

On the other hand, if I need to put my wet clothes in the dryer and someone else's stuff requires unloading, I can't avoid seeing what's in my hands. Namely, undergarments. I'm too adolescent to handle underwear not belonging to me without a fit of giggles and the occasional "Oh my god!" However, I am proud to say that I resisted the powerful urge to sling-shot the skivvies around the room or at the dog.

Another unavoidable area is the refrigerator. Hey, a girl's gotta eat. I'd like to know why there is a water glass filled with water and whole carrots? And why is there a gigantic pitcher filled with what looks to be juice but is labeled "bird food- do not drink"? The dairy drawer contained no less than seven different kinds of cheeses. Who needs that many cheeses? And finally, why, in the middle of every organic product known to man, is there a giant box of cheap-ass corn dogs?

Curiosity killed the cat... and the housesitter.