15 November 2005

Cain't Get a Man With a Gun

A few of you are familiar with my flirtation with musical theatre. I do love singing, dancing and generally embarrassing myself in front of hundreds of people. Alas, for my most recent venture, I was too old (egads!) to audition. Youth theatre is so persnickety in that they always want children in the cast.

So, I guess I was lucky to be involved at all with the Shrewsbury Young People's Theatre production of Annie, Get Your Gun-opening this Thursday at the Shrewsbury City Center. Those fab costumes you'll be seeing were all me, baby. All me.

Okay, mostly me.

The real story here is my kid who, after doing hard time in the chorus and supporting roles in multiple other productions, finally landed a leading role. And as much as I enjoy jabbing her, she is truly amazing in the rehearsals I've seen. If I had half her vocal talent, the producers of Annie Get Your Gun may have made an exception and cast my middle aged self, in sheer awe of my amazing skill.

Again, that's the Shrewsbury City Center, this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7:30. There will also be a matinee on Sunday at 2:00 PM. Tickets are 6.00.